Host: Perla Ni
Participants: Perla, CEO CommunityConnect Labs
Notes: Problem statement:
Young people are the future and they are not reading books frequently, or going into bookstores frequently.
- Bookstores can better fulfill teenager’s needs: place to meet up, hang out with friends, impress a date
- Make bookstores a place for teens to hang out: + cafe, or ice cream, candy, or boba tea
- Recruit teenager interns/ambassadors:
- Teen Ambassadors around causes – connect with bookstore to host an event. Maybe have teens be Tik-Tok ambassadors for you (they can add to their college application). Tagging and sharing your posts. They can be teen reviewers and write reviews and add it to a card in the store.
- Hire highschool interns in the bookstore: someone closer in age to teenagers and who they feel more comfortable with to 1. Get recommendations of books 2. Place orders for books
- Partner marketing:
- Schools: promote teen/middle grade 4-6pm weekly/monthly meetup at the bookstore and get a discount. Make it a regular hangout.
- Cafes: get coffee, get coupon for bookstore
- Parents should create routine early when kids are young: Make a weekly trip to the bookstore
- Audiobooks: Teens are listening more to audiobooks. See bookstore events in the app and then teens can meet with friends and attend a bookstore event.
- Books now tied to games and movies: Interest kids who play games like Minecraft
- Digital Marketing: Go where teenagers are:
- Host Discord chat around book.
- Fable.co has YA clubs highschool-college age
- Record events on Twitch
- Tik-Tok – People become familiar with your staff via TikTok. And also feel comfortable because they have a chance to see the diversity and authenticity of the people they’ll meet there
- Then connect these digital conversations into real life relationships and meeting at bookstores.
- Teens love providing recommendations of books they really like and teens also like to make videos. Invite kids to record video testimonials about their books at the bookstore
- Book bucks
- How to books: Section for crafts
- Family Trivia Night: Readers can show off their knowledge: greek mythology, history, geography etc. Have regular monthly Trivia night, make it a routine.
- Targeted theme events
Problems we may not be able to solve: How to get teens on zoom events. Teens seem to be done with Zoom